Volume1 Issue 3 June 2011 A Day in the Life:  Batfish Living History Day Back in February, the Museum hosted the Oklahoma Historical Society’s “Batfish Living History Association” (BLHA), which placed re - enactors on the boat, each working and telling a  part of the story of a d ay in the life of the World War Two Submariner.  Our club in support of their  activities manned the radio  shack during the day. Gary  W5ODS and myself both  “dressed the part” to fit in  with the crew. Gary operated the radio and ran CW while I  did mostly a dministration  duties like logging and talking to visitors, which was  kind of difficult as the radio  operator sits between the  guests in the door way, and the second op position. This  of course was a distraction to  Gary, but we both had a lot of  fun as that  weekend was also  the WWDX contest and Gary  ended up working 50 to 60 contacts on CW, and about 30 to 40 different countries, all on CW. It is my hope that we will continue to support the BLHA and the museum by providing CW  operators for their events. So me of us might even consider joining the BLHA as well. In  following this direction of thinking, It is my hope that the “Sub Club” will get the original RAL  and RAK receivers and at least the Collins TCS - 8 Transmitter up and working, so that they may  be use d for these events. I  know they are not  practical for today’s SSB  and Data communications  that hams use today, But  for CW, which is about  all that was used at the  time of WW2, they would be just as good today, as  they were in WWII. They  were state of the a rt back then, and most still  consider them good rigs  for CW.  Once the museum closed down for the day, the  activities continued but at  a much more relaxed pace. The first thing we did was eat dinner, which was prepared by the crew in the galley, during th e day. We were invited to join the BLHA dinner that evening, and I am glad that I accepted, as  it was a special treat. Like all Submariners before, the BLHA crew knows how to enjoy a good meal, and this one did not disappoint anyone.  The dinner was made  even more special when the crew ate in the crew’s mess on the boat. This  one act, as simple as it seems, did more to place me in the mindset of what life must have been  like for the men aboard these boats. You really learn that the guy next to you, no matt er how much you like, or dislike him, is an integral part of your life at every level. What it seems to  bring out in everyone is a camaraderie that obviously builds lifelong relationships among the  men that served onboard. After Dinner, and its clean up,  the  BLHA relocated to the meeting room of the museum and held a  meeting that also doubled as a  training seminar that I sat in on. I  am glad I joined them as a era  appropriate desert was severed,  Orange Crush Floats! Ice cream  and Orange Crush soda. I must  say  that I wasn’t sure about it when  they first handed it to me, but I  enjoyed it immensely, so much so  that I now have a case of Orange  Crush under the counter and a  gallon of vanilla Ice cream in the  freezer.  Once desert was finished, we did a fire an d safety walk through the boat, learning where the  flashlights and fire extinguishers are, how to open and close the fire dampers in the ventilation  duct through out the boat, as well as learning about all sorts of miscellaneous equipment onboard the boat.  It was good for me to take that walk, as it allowed me to identify a serious safety issue  that our radio equipment was causing.  It seems that when the original cabling was installed for the tower’s antenna rotor, it was run  down the hallway over the off icer’s quarters, and to get it though the bulkheads between  compartments, the rotor cable was routed thought the ventilation ducts. The problem is that they  were preventing the fire damper doors from closing.  Shortly thereafter, the guys from the sub - clu b removed the cable and re - run it on the outside of  the boat, fixing the fire safety issue and it also cleaned up the control room and officer’s area  considerable. At the very least, getting this cable moved, saved the cable from getting cut when  someone t ried to close the dampers. But this really could have been disastrous had there been a  fire. Later this summer the BLHA is expected to have yet another living history day at the boat, and I  hope that you will volunteer to help out during the event. It mig ht seem awkward at first, but you will enjoy it.