There were a number of pieces that had to be straightened to make the antenna look good when  in the air. John and James also took care of that part of the project, and did a great job at it. We also found that the antenna w as not built “quite right” with some of the elements not being in  the right spot… Though I am not certain about this, several have speculated that the reflector and the director were reversed. Now on a 3 - element antenna, that would not make any difference, except to point the antenna in the other direction, but with 4 elements, things are different.  The  4 th  element is supposed to be between the driven element and the reflector, but somehow, it  seemed to be mounted between the driven and the director… That  could explain the disruption of  the pattern when trying to point to a station.  While all the Team members disassembled all  the pieces, Dan W5BM tested each and every  trap on the antenna to make sure they were on  frequency and that the traps were properl paired up and oriented to make sure the antenna  tuned properly once up in the air. Now there are  “only” 10 traps on the antenna, but we put that  poor man through hell, and he had to tests each  trap 3 or 4 times! He would get done, put his  equipment up, a nd then shortly thereafter, he  would happily drag it all out again to check it  one more time. He repeated this cycle of events  several times, but he was always good - natured about it!  We all learned from Dan’s training on how to check the traps, and while  at it, he did find that one  of the traps were “backwards” from the others. We never really figured out why, but luckily we  were able to replace the trap with another.  After disassembly, each and every connecting joint of the antenna was sanded down and  cleaned with scouring pads and steel wool. While  reassembling the antenna, each and every joint  was greased with No - Ox, an electrically  conductive, anti - corrosion compound to make  sure our repairs last. Continuing this train of  thought, ALL the hardware,  nuts, bolts,  washers, hose clamps and muffler clamps were  replaced with NEW Stainless Steel hardware  bought from MFJ as a “rebuild” kit.  Each of the traps were also rebuilt by cleaning around and replacing the rusted screw that  makes the outer shield a c apacitor for the trap,  and while we were at it, we replaced all the Trap - Caps with new caps to keep the water and bugs  out --USS OKLAHOMA AND USS BATFISH HANDOUT-- After the boom was disassembled and cleaned, No - Ox was applied and then reassembled with new hardware. Each element was  measured an d adjusted according to the manual for the center of the  band, and the elements were re - attached to the boom. Once done,  with the bolts tight, a crew went  through again and measured all the  dimensions again, and made a  couple of minor adjustment. Then  a se cond crew made sure ALL the  clamps, nuts and bolts were tight as  a final check. The final nicety was the application of new end caps for all the elements and also both ends of  the boom to eliminate the wind from making music with the holes in the elemen ts, like a drunken  flutes. To make sure they stay there, each cap was glued in place with “black death” 3M  automotive weather gasket glue. The crew then tilted the tower back down and the Beam was stood up on its end and the boom  was remounted to the mas t. A long run of temporary / test coax was connected, and then the  antenna was raised in to position. Testing with the antenna analyzer indicated all was working properly on all three bands. The tower  was then lowered again and the main  run of coax was re - attached, and the  connections were then weather proofed and cable tied to the boom and tower. The tower was then raised again and secured to the mounting post. The head CW OP, Gary W5ODS, and myself,  then took the 700 foot walk to the  radio room of the Ba tfish and retested the antenna from there. The results  were not as great as they were before,  but they were acceptable.  The antenna  was connected to the radio and I must  say the bands were open, even 10 and 15 were hopping, I wanted to get on the air and call CQ, but there was still more to do, and the  museum was closing soon. We secured the station and went back to help clean up the work area,  and pack up to go home. Volume1 Issue 3 June 2011 While there, Gary also took the ends down on the 40 Meter inverted V antenna that is on  the  boat, and he soldered a few extra inches on to the ends to lower the resonate frequency some, to  help center the antenna in the band, and to help remove the need for an antenna tuner when  operating CW in  the lower part of  the bands.  ALL in ALL, it  w as a very full  day, far more so  then dreamed,  and considering the issues we  had, it was very  impressive that  it all got done in  one day! With  everyone’s hard work, and about  $150.00 in new stainless steel  parts, we have  built a nearly  new antenna  that with  any luck should give the club another 15 to 20 years of good service. A special thank you goes out to all those folks that made a special financial donation to this  project. Without the financial support of our members, projects like these would not be p ossible.   I want to thank a wonderful group of guys for all their help, everyone did more then their - fair - share of the work to make sure the project was a success and to make sure it was done in just one  day! The crew consisted of th e following, but are not listed in any particular order: Dan, W5BM Ron, KB5VDB Mike, AE5QL John, N5TBM James, NN5Q Gary, W5ODS John, W5EJK Wade, KF5IF Thank you guys! Your hard work is very much appreciated! I would also like to th ank Courtney, KF5BRC for taking the photos of the project. Have a suggestion ?   Have a story idea! Want to write an article of interest?  Just want to have  your opinion heard? Anything from discussion topics for meetings to projects to newsletter  items,  or articles that others would enjoy. Please send an email to